Tuesday, January 29, 2013

You Keep Wanting That Belt. I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means.

          The movie The Princess Bride may be one of the few great comedic masterpieces ever put on film.  It is not only extremely enjoyable, but also extraordinarily well written, directed, and acted, and if nothing else, is eminently quotable. For the uninitiated: Throughout the beginning portion of the film, after the character Vizzini abducts Princess Buttercup and finds that he is being pursued, he continually exclaims that this is "Inconceivable!", despite all evidence to the contrary. After one "Inconceivable!" too many, Inigo Montoya astutely responds, "You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."
          As a martial arts instructor, I find myself feeling much the same way when it comes to how students seem to feel about achieving new rank.  It appears that somewhere along the line, the goals for many students have shifted away from acquiring knowledge and skill towards merely acquiring rank.  To these students, the belt has become a symbol of only accomplishment, status, and achievement.  It has become a measuring tool to say, "Look at me, and look at what I've done! I've worked hard, and I deserve your admiration!"  Now, I'm not here to deny that it is these things, to a certain degree, but as an instructor, that's really NOT what your belt means to me.  The belt is not a destination, and making it one simply makes it that much easier to end a journey that isn't supposed to end. (See There Is No Karate Season)  Reaching any new rank is not a destination, it is merely another step; another rung on the ladder.  What is it, then, that your belt means to me?  It is not about what you have learned.  It is instead about what you are ready to learn next.  It is not about where you have been, it is about where you are going.  The new belt, quite simply, means that you are ready for more.
          It is this attitude that should be reflected in any desire for advancement, and in any efforts expended during a test for new rank.  I do not want to see a simple regurgitation of required material.  I want to see a true desire to advance, to move forward, and to be ready for the next challenge.  Frankly, it amazes me when the attitude presented is anything less.  All too often, when students realize that achieving a new belt rank doesn't make anything easier, I see the last thing I would expect on their faces: confusion.  I'm not sure why this is such a secret, though.  It seems as if these students, somewhat like Vizzini, find it to be "Inconceivable" that their new belts did not come fully equipped with magical abilities to make training simpler and easier, or at very least seem shocked that they don't now possess all the answers and abilities they will ever need.  Life doesn't work this way, and neither do the martial arts.  Prove proficiency with one thing, or at one job, and the reward, inevitably, is simply the opportunity to prove you can do more, and do it better.  This then, is also your reward upon receiving new rank.  
          Prove you can learn more.  Prove you can do that which you have already learned better.  Prove your belt means what you think it means.  Anything else should be inconceivable.


Kick. Punch. Easy Stuff.





1 comment: